The shipping industry is a vital part of the oil and gas supply chain. It is important to avoid common logistical problems to ensure that your goods move smoothly.
However, many shippers in the oil and gas shipping industry are unaware of some of the most common logistical problems that can occur during transport. These problems include lack of communication, improper storage, and inefficient planning.
By understanding what these problems are and their solutions, shippers can take active steps to prevent them from happening in their shipments, minimising delays, and optimising their operations.
1. Poor communication can lead to shipment delays and missed deadlines
Oil and gas companies rely on timely and accurate shipments of their products to keep their businesses running smoothly.
Unfortunately, poor communication such as unclear or incomplete shipping instructions can cause confusion and errors. This leads to shipment delays and missed deadlines, costing companies time and money.
How To Prevent Poor Communication
- Find a trusted shipping carrier, with proper certifications.
- Ensure there is clear and effective communication between all the parties involved.
- Use tools such as radios as well as wireless voice and data communications.
2. Not having a plan for unexpected events can result in costly delays
Logistics planning is critical for a successful oil and gas shipping operation, yet many companies do not have such plans in place, which can lead to delays and higher costs for shippers. Delays in shipping due to such unforeseen occurrences can have a ripple effect on the entire supply chain.
How To Avoid Lack of Planning
- Have a contingency plan in place.
- Take advantage of accurate data-driven forecasting models.
- Use efficient route planning software.
3. Improper storage can damage goods during transport
Shipping oil and gas products is a complex process that can be affected by many factors, including storage.
There must be a proper storage of oil and gas products in offshore containers, half height containers, drums and baskets. Ensure they are properly covered and tightly sealed to prevent unwanted contamination and avoid dangerous leaks of chemicals and fuels. Also use the right equipment and a certified team to lift these equipment.
How To Prevent Improper Storage
- Ensure that the storage containers comply with the specific requirements, including DNV 2.7-1, EN 12079, MSC 860, and ASME Ustamp.
- Carry out frequent risk assessments and drills so workers know what to do if there is an accident.
- Make sure each container is safely handled and carefully stored, according to the best practices.
General Guidelines In Oil & Gas Shipping
Shipping is an essential process in the oil and gas industry, but it can also be a huge headache. From finding the right shipping company to dealing with unexpected delays, there are plenty of things that can go wrong and even the slightest hiccup can lead to major problems.
If you’re looking to keep your shipping operations running smoothly, here is a general guideline to help you out.
- Make sure you have a clear understanding of your shipping needs and what services your trusted carrier can provide.
- Create a detailed packing list and routing guide so that everyone involved in the process knows what they need to do.
- Ensure there is proper storage of your oil and gas products.
- Stay on top of any potential problems and troubleshoot them as quickly as possible.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to streamline your shipping process and keep your business running smoothly.
Halcon Primo Logistics (HPL) Pte Ltd is a one-stop logistics solutions provider. We offer supply chain as well as logistics solutions for companies in different industries, including oil & gas, mining, heavy machinery, and construction. Contact us to find out more about our integrated, customer-driven, and seamless logistical solutions today!